Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a therapy in which the therapist uses a range of specialised and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction if the lymph flow. This stimulates the lymphatic system which carries substance vital to the defence of the body and removing waste products.
The first visit will include a consultation during which the therapist will recommend the number and frequency of future sessions. Each session will last approximately one hour. Where appropriate the therapist will work in conjunction with your medical practitioner.
What are the benefits?
MLD is both preventative and remedial and can enhance your well being. Furthermore, MLD:
- Is deeply relaxing
- Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains and lessens pain.
- Can improve many chronic conditions: sinusitus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, acne and other skin conditions.
- May strengthen the immune system as part of “detox” treatment.
- Relieves fluid congestion: swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes and swollen legs due to pregnancy.
- Is an effective component of the treatment and control of lymphoedema (which may occur after cancer treatment) and assists in conditions arising from venous insufficiency.
- Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the appearance of old scars.
- Minimises or reduces stretch marks.
- Can be used to speed healing after cosmetic surgery.
For more information about MLD go to http://www.mlduk.org.uk/therapy/
Welcome to our Blog, we at DDB Physiotherapy Clinic like to keep individuals informed about new and exciting things that are happening within the world of Private Healthcare and any new development within DDB Physiotherapy Clinic.