Women’s Health Physiotherapy
Womens Health Physiotherapy is a therapeutic treatment of all disorders affecting the pelvis and pelvic floor.
Shockingly 1 in 3 women experience women’s health problems during their lifetime. However many endure these problems, often for years, either too embarrassed to seek help or unawar that there are treatments available.
From incontinence to prolapse or pelvic pain, there is growing evidence that physiotherapy can alleviate, and in many cases cure symptoms.
Who will you see?
You will see our post graduate trained specialist physiotherapist, Jenny Cooper who is absolutely passionate about helping women resolve these problems and significantly improve their quality of life.
Women’s health physiotherapy can have a number of positive outcomes and for some it can be life-changing. It can help women to:
- reduce pain
- restore and/or improve function
- be more active and exercise with confidence
- remain dry on coughing or sneezing
- hold on instead of having to rush to the toilet
- cut down the frequency of visits to the toilet
- manage prolapse symptoms and reduce any feelings of discomfort
- take control of bowel problems
- resolve certain kinds of sexual dysfunction
- improve the quality of their lives
What can I expect?
- Your assessment will depend upon your symptoms. We will start by taking a full and detailed history, which will require you to talk openly with the therapist about your symptoms
- Bladder Diaries will be issued as part of the treatment, this allows us to know what it is like to spend 3 days with your bladder and helps build a clinical picture
- Physical Assessment, we will look at your posture, your spine and pelvic movements
- Rehab Plan, it is not a quick fix, it can take 3 months to make changes
- Pelvic Floor Examination – the assessment may include an internal examination, it only takes a couple of minutes and can be stopped at any time.
- Could also include – checking the skin on vulva and vagina, sensation testing and assessing for weakness, resting muscle tone and co-ordination.